Everybody is born differently. While you may be blessed with good health, your loved one may not. You may remain healthy throughout your life while your friend may either be born with some disorder or develop it later in life. Stem cells have the potential to treat a wide range of diseases. You may have heard of stem cells in movies or news or the like and wondered if the treatment can help you or your loved one. You may also have wondered how can they possibly treat diseases and whether they actually can. Dr. John Laura is known as one of the most experienced practitioners of stem cell therapy Newport Beach has to offer and can help answer any of your questions concerning the treatment.
Try the Revolutionary Stem Cell Therapy
What Are Stem Cells?
Your body is made up of many different types of cells, each performing a different function. Stem cells provide new cells for the body and replace the specialized cells that are damaged. Stem cells have the potential to develop into many different cell types, from brain cells to muscle cells. They can serve as an internal repair system and repair the damaged tissue. When a stem cell divides in your body, each new cell has the potential to either remain a stem cell or to become another type of cell that has a more specialized function. Stem cells have two unique properties:
- They can produce new cells by dividing over and over again
- They can change to other types of cells as they divide
Where Do Stem Cells Come From?
Several resources of stem cells have been discovered lately. Initially, there were two primary sources of stem cells,
- Embryonic stem cells: They come from embryos that are two to five days old. Most times, they are unused embryos resulting from an in vitro fertilization procedure. These stem cells can turn into more than one type of cell, and they are called pluripotent.
- Adult stem cells: These are found in fully developed tissues, like your brain, skin, and bone marrow and have limited ability to give rise to various cells of the body.
The other sources include
- Induced pluripotent stem cells: Using genetic programming, regular adult cells are transformed into stem cells to act similarly to embryonic stem cells. In a few words, adult cells are altered to have properties of embryonic stem cells.
- Prenatal stem cells: The amniotic fluid, that surrounds and protects a developing fetus in the uterus, and the umbilical cord blood are found to have stem cells that can change into specialized cells.
What is Stem Cell Therapy?
Stem cell therapy, also known as regenerative medicine, is the use of stem cells to prevent or treat a disease or a condition. Your cells, tissues, and organs can sometimes be severely damaged or lost by illness, injury or due to a genetic condition. A stem cell is a solution that generates new cells that can be transplanted into your body to replace that which is permanently damaged or injured. It promotes the repair of dysfunctional or injured tissue using stem cells or stem cells’ derivatives.
The first stem cells to be identified were the blood-forming stem cells in the bone marrow. They were the first to be used in the clinic, the treatment was called a bone marrow transplant.
The stem cells replace cells that are damaged by chemotherapy or disease. They serve as a way for your immune system to fight blood-related infections and some types of cancer, such as neuroblastoma, lymphoma, leukemia, and multiple myeloma. The bone marrow transplant is a lifesaving technique that has saved several lives. It is believed that a bone marrow transplant will be useful in treating autoimmune disease. It will also help people tolerate organ transplants.
The Stem Cell Therapy
The stem cell therapy procedure begins with a consultation with Dr. John Laura, who has several years of experience in regenerative medicine. He will start by reviewing your medical history, your family medical history, your present medical condition, medications, and allergies. He will also conduct a physical examination to determine whether you are suitable for the procedure.
Adult stem cells and growth factors are collected from multiple sources of your body and prepared for injection. If the therapy is for joint pain, soft tissue pain or back pain, the stem cells harvested from the bone marrow, lower abdomen, and peripheral veins are injected to the affected area using an x-ray or ultrasound.
Stem cell transplant can do more than cure joint pains. In this treatment, the embryonic stem cells are specialized into the necessary adult cell type. You then receive chemotherapy or radiation therapy to damage and possibly destroy the bone marrow that is already damaged by disease or injury. The stem cell transplant replaces the damaged bone marrow with healthy stem cells.
This treatment is used to:
- Replace any tissue or organ in your body that is damaged, diseased, or injured.
- To produce insulin in your body to treat diabetes and heart muscle cells to help repair damage after a heart attack
- To replace the neurons that are damaged by stroke, spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, or any other neurological problems.
The stem cell therapy also helps in treating:
- Musculoskeletal problems and orthopedic injuries
- Brain trauma, spinal stenosis, and spinal cord injuries
- Wounds and incisions post-surgery
- Pancreatic dysfunctions, vision impairment, and hair loss
Contact our office today and consult with a member of our team to see what stem cell therapy in Newport Beach can do for you.
Benefits of Stem Cell Therapy
The benefits of stem cells have grown dramatically over the years. Researchers are trying to uncover ways to use stem cells to treat common chronic problems. Some of the areas where stem cells can bring benefits include arthritis, type I diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, burns, and cardiovascular diseases. Apart from these, there are several benefits of stem cell therapy, which include the following:
- They speed up the healing process of an injury and prevent the formation of scar tissues
- They decrease nerve damage and help in reducing chronic joint pain without medication
- They help generate new heart and blood vessel tissue
- They increase flexibility, functionality, range of motion and sleep quality
- They increase the production of collagen and keep your skin and hair healthy
There is no limit to the types of diseases that can be treated using stem cells. Dr. John Laura has several years of experience in this field, and he is known for providing some of the most effective stem cell therapy Newport Beach has available. Book an appointment with him if you are looking for a stem cell treatment or even if you have concerns regarding this therapy and your health.